Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College
- Founded in 1960, Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College is a public, comprehensive community and technical college under the governance of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS). The college serves the KCTCS Southeast district and provides Associate in Art and Associate in Science degree, Associate in Applied Science degree programs, certificate programs, diploma programs, Continuing education, Academic support and developmental education and resources to promote the preservation of the Appalachian culture by stimulating artistic expression.
- The teacher population of 111 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College||(KY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Less than 2 yrs|
|Total Faculty||111 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,660 students||3,252 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||33:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,818 students||1,360 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,842 students||1,892 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,300||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College provides the opportunity to participate in and develop leadership skills through several campus organizations, activities, and intramural sporting events, which promote educational, recreational, social and personal growth. With campuses in Cumberland, Harlan, Middlesboro, Pineville and Whitesburg, the college is able to offer a variety of student activities that accommodate each campuses student population. Transfer Counselors are available to assist student who are preparing to transfer to four year colleges. By completing the Associate in Arts degree or the Associate in Science degree a student will have a completed the transfer block that will meet the general education requirements for Kentucky State universities and colleges.
- The nearest community college to Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College is Mountain Empire Community College (15.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,718 students | 15.20 Mi3441 Mountain Empire Road
Big Stone Gap,  VA  24219
- 3,462 students | 21.10 MiOne Community College Drive
Hazard,  KY  41701
- 5,865 students | 46.40 Mi2425 Hwy 75
Blountville,  TN  37617
- 4,638 students | 51.30 Mi1 Bert Combs Dr
Prestonsburg,  KY  41653
- 9 students | 51.70 Mi100 Piedmont Ave
Bristol,  VA  24201
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.