Simmons Institute of Funeral Service Inc (Closed 2013)
- Simmons is a single purpose institute offering the highest quality program of Funeral Service Education. We do our utmost to prepare students in embalming sciences, funeral directing arts, and business management for membership in a vocation of service.
|Simmons Institute of Funeral Service Inc||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Private, non-profit|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||100%||91%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$12,000||$12,000|
|Median Debt for Dropouts (Year 2007)||$7,062||$2,625|
|Acceptance Rate (Year 2007)||100%||75%|
Source: 2013 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Much has changed in our world since 1900 when Simmons Institute was founded. Educational requirements have moved from a "trade school" approach to obtaining a minimum of a two-year degree through an accredited college program. Having the opportunity to establish a solid foundation for further education while learning the arts and skills required to becoming technically competent as a funeral director is what Simmons is all about. Simmons Institute is one of the few accredited programs in the nation that maintains and operates an excellent on-site clinical program in which to have the opportunity to obtain invaluable practical experience. Personnel are available to teach embalming and restorative art techniques around the clock, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The main offices of Simmons Institute of Funeral Service are housed in a two-story brick building, located at 1828 South Avenue, Syracuse, NY. The first floor of this building features the main business offices, bookstore, classroom, student lounge, funeral museum and embalming lab. On the second floor are two more classrooms, restorative art lab, two extensive product information center (one for preparation room supplies and the other for funeral merchandise), the Library for Funeral Service Education, and the computer center which is open to all students as an extension of the library facility. Simmons Institute was the first to develop the Weekend Study program in 1990.Simmons Institute remains one of the very few programs in the United States today that requires a dress code. The attitude of being and acting professional will continue to be an important factor. Pride in personal appearance is not a given, but becomes a way of life.
The nearest community college to Simmons Institute of Funeral Service Inc is Crouse Hospital College of Nursing (1.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 345 students | 1.90 Mi765 Irving Ave
Syracuse,  NY  13210
(315) 470-7481 1.90345
- 12,271 students | 2.00 Mi4585 West Seneca Turnpike
Syracuse,  NY  13215
(315) 498-2622 2.0012,271
- 317 students | 2.50 Mi206 Prospect Ave
Syracuse,  NY  13203
(315) 448-5040 2.50317
- 516 students | 3.00 Mi953 James St
Syracuse,  NY  13203
(315) 472-6603 3.00516
- 472 students | 12.40 Mi8687 Carling Rd
Liverpool,  NY  13090
(315) 652-6500 12.40472
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!