Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
Tel: (205) 925-2515
- Lawson State Community College is a comprehensive, public, two-year, multi-campus college, which seeks to provide accessible quality educational opportunities, promote economic growth and enhance the quality of life for people in its service area. The College is dedicated to providing affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities in order to prepare students for employment or career advancement, enable students to transfer to senior colleges and universities, and provide customized training needs for business and industry.
- The teacher population of 121 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||121 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,090 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,773 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,317 students||752 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||128|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,800||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Birmingham Campus is located at 3060 Wilson Road, Southwest in Birmingham, Alabama. The West Campus, located on the northern side of Wilson Road, consists of six buildings on 45 acres of land. Students are advised and encouraged to participate in annual activities designed to set the cultural, spiritual, moral, and academic tone of the institution. Such activities include: SGA Election, Installation of SGA Officers Convocations, Annual Christmas Musical, Afro-American History Month, Career Day, Blue and Gold Week, Blood Drive, Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, Vocational Education Week, Health Fair, Homecoming, Art Exhibition, Honors Convocation, Graduate/Alumni Banquet, President's Brunch, and Commencement. Lawson State is committed to providing quality intercollegiate and intramural programs designed to foster the personal growth of each student. These programs encourage individual and team achievement and strive to enhance the academic success, social development, and physical and emotional well being of each student. There are a variety of athletics and recreational facilities available for students. The Arthur Shores Fine Arts Building is equipped with a modern fitness center, hardwood court gym, swimming pool, and locker facilities. Students may participate in basketball, baseball, volleyball, field and track, cross-country, tennis, golf and swimming. Job Placement and the Career Education Center function as a bridge between the student's academic preparation and the world of work. The Center has numerous activities, including career counseling, maintaining a career information library, receiving and publishing job vacancy notices, arranging for prospective employers to visit the campus, interviewing applicants, mailing students credentials to prospective employers, and publicizing campus interviews.
- The nearest community college to Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus is Herzing University Birmingham (3.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 425 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
(205) 916-2800 3.50425
- 571 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209
(205) 916-2800 3.50571
- n/a students | 7.90 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
(205) 428-6391 7.90n/a
- 8,516 students | 17.60 Mi2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham,  AL  35215
(205) 853-1200 17.608,516
- 3,609 students | 34.20 Mi1411 Indiana Avenue
Jasper,  AL  35501
(205) 387-0511 34.203,609
Learn about how the revisions within the GI Bill impact the academic benefits for veterans who served America on or after the 9/11 attacks.
Learn about the opportunities and free healthcare services available at your local community college. Whether you need dental, medical, or even physical therapy treatment, your local community college may be able to provide you with the care that you need, regardless of your budget.
Learn what to expect in terms of classes and student life in your first semester of community college.