Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
- Lawson State Community College is a comprehensive, public, two-year, multi-campus college, which seeks to provide accessible quality educational opportunities, promote economic growth and enhance the quality of life for people in its service area. The College is dedicated to providing affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities in order to prepare students for employment or career advancement, enable students to transfer to senior colleges and universities, and provide customized training needs for business and industry.
- The teacher population of 121 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||121 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,090 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,773 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,317 students||752 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||120||128|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,800||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Birmingham Campus is located at 3060 Wilson Road, Southwest in Birmingham, Alabama. The West Campus, located on the northern side of Wilson Road, consists of six buildings on 45 acres of land.Students are advised and encouraged to participate in annual activities designed to set the cultural, spiritual, moral, and academic tone of the institution. Such activities include: SGA Election, Installation of SGA Officers Convocations, Annual Christmas Musical, Afro-American History Month, Career Day, Blue and Gold Week, Blood Drive, Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, Vocational Education Week, Health Fair, Homecoming, Art Exhibition, Honors Convocation, Graduate/Alumni Banquet, President's Brunch, and Commencement.Lawson State is committed to providing quality intercollegiate and intramural programs designed to foster the personal growth of each student. These programs encourage individual and team achievement and strive to enhance the academic success, social development, and physical and emotional well being of each student. There are a variety of athletics and recreational facilities available for students. The Arthur Shores Fine Arts Building is equipped with a modern fitness center, hardwood court gym, swimming pool, and locker facilities. Students may participate in basketball, baseball, volleyball, field and track, cross-country, tennis, golf and swimming.Job Placement and the Career Education Center function as a bridge between the student's academic preparation and the world of work. The Center has numerous activities, including career counseling, maintaining a career information library, receiving and publishing job vacancy notices, arranging for prospective employers to visit the campus, interviewing applicants, mailing students credentials to prospective employers, and publicizing campus interviews.
- The nearest community college to Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus is Herzing University Birmingham (3.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 425 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 551 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 2,818 students | 3.70 Mi488 Palisades Blvd.
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- n/a students | 8.00 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
- 8,516 students | 17.30 Mi2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham,  AL  35215
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.