Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
- Lawson State Community College is a comprehensive, public, two-year, multi-campus college, which seeks to provide accessible quality educational opportunities, promote economic growth and enhance the quality of life for people in its service area. The College is dedicated to providing affordable and accessible lifelong learning opportunities in order to prepare students for employment or career advancement, enable students to transfer to senior colleges and universities, and provide customized training needs for business and industry.
- The teacher population of 121 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||121 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,090 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,773 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,317 students||752 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||120||128|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,800||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Birmingham Campus is located at 3060 Wilson Road, Southwest in Birmingham, Alabama. The West Campus, located on the northern side of Wilson Road, consists of six buildings on 45 acres of land.Students are advised and encouraged to participate in annual activities designed to set the cultural, spiritual, moral, and academic tone of the institution. Such activities include: SGA Election, Installation of SGA Officers Convocations, Annual Christmas Musical, Afro-American History Month, Career Day, Blue and Gold Week, Blood Drive, Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration, Vocational Education Week, Health Fair, Homecoming, Art Exhibition, Honors Convocation, Graduate/Alumni Banquet, President's Brunch, and Commencement.Lawson State is committed to providing quality intercollegiate and intramural programs designed to foster the personal growth of each student. These programs encourage individual and team achievement and strive to enhance the academic success, social development, and physical and emotional well being of each student. There are a variety of athletics and recreational facilities available for students. The Arthur Shores Fine Arts Building is equipped with a modern fitness center, hardwood court gym, swimming pool, and locker facilities. Students may participate in basketball, baseball, volleyball, field and track, cross-country, tennis, golf and swimming.Job Placement and the Career Education Center function as a bridge between the student's academic preparation and the world of work. The Center has numerous activities, including career counseling, maintaining a career information library, receiving and publishing job vacancy notices, arranging for prospective employers to visit the campus, interviewing applicants, mailing students credentials to prospective employers, and publicizing campus interviews.
- The nearest community college to Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus is Herzing University Birmingham (3.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 425 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Avenue
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- 571 students | 3.50 Mi280 West Valley Ave
Birmingham,  AL  35209
- n/a students | 8.00 Mi1100 9th Ave Sw
Bessemer,  AL  35022
- 8,516 students | 17.30 Mi2601 Carson Rd
Birmingham,  AL  35215
- 3,609 students | 34.30 Mi1411 Indiana Avenue
Jasper,  AL  35501
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, businesses around the country are facing setbacks - colleges included. Read on to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on higher education in the United States.
Do you have a right to use profanity on campus? Read about one community college that is fining its students for cussing.