Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg
- Harrisburg Area Community College is an accessible, affordable, high quality, comprehensive community college. The multi-campus college serves as a premier educational and workforce development institution. The presence of quality instruction and cutting edge technology, business and industry collaboration, and a learning-centered environment provides students the necessary knowledge, skills and values to compete and excel in a global community.
- The teacher population of 844 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg||(PA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||844 staff||25 staff|
|Total Enrollment||20,230 students||618 students|
|# Full-Time Students||6,136 students||372 students|
|# Part-Time Students||14,094 students||246 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate (Year 2015)|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$35,700||$34,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Established February 14, 1964, as the first community college in Pennsylvania, HACC welcomed its first class of 426 students on September 21 of the same year. HACC has become one of the largest undergraduate colleges in Pennsylvania, with nearly 11,000 students enrolling in credit programs and courses each semester. A multi-campus college, Harrisburg Area Community College offers programs and courses at four campuses and one Center: the $64 million, 215-acre Harrisburg Campus in Harrisburg, the Lancaster Campus, the Lebanon Campus , Gettysburg Campus, and the York Center. Courses are also offered at additional locations throughout southcentral Pennsylvania includeing online. The Harrisburg, Gettysburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York locations are linked through compressed video classrooms which allow students on all four campuses to participate in the same class. The college offers Career programs, Certificate programs, Diploma programs and Transfer Programs. The College awards Associate in Arts (AA), Associate in Science (AS), and Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees, Certificates of Proficiency, and Diplomas. Most programs are offered at the Harrisburg Campus, and many are available at the campuses in Lancaster, Lebanon and Gettysburg. The College is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The Pennsylvania Department of Education has authorized the College to award the Associate's degree, with specific programs receiving national accreditation.
- The nearest community college to Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg is Central Penn College (2.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,370 students | 2.80 Mi600 Valley Road P.O. Box 309
Summerdale,  PA  17093
- 217 students | 5.40 Mi5650 Derry St
Harrisburg,  PA  17111
- 1,677 students | 23.90 Mi1405 Williams Road
York,  PA  17402
- 1,269 students | 24.50 Mi735 Cumberland St
Lebanon,  PA  17042
- 1,172 students | 25.50 Mi1031 Edgecomb Avenue
York,  PA  17403
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.