Georgia Perimeter College
- Georgia Perimeter College, a non-residential institution, serves diverse populations of traditional and nontraditional students in Greater Metropolitan Atlanta. Placing learning first, we provide accessible and affordable high quality undergraduate credit and non-credit programs for students seeking to complete an associate degree, transfer to a senior college or university, prepare for immediate entry into a career, pursue personal goals or enhance current workplace skills. Our curriculum specializes in liberal arts and professional preparation and promotes international and intercultural understanding. We also serve the broader community as an educational, cultural, and economic resource.
- The teacher population of 609 teachers has declined by 23% over five years.
|Georgia Perimeter College||(GA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||609 staff||94 staff|
|Total Enrollment||21,371 students||2,588 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||35:1||27:1|
|# Full-Time Students||7,987 students||1,115 students|
|# Part-Time Students||13,384 students||1,473 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$36,500||$30,100|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Founded by the citizens of DeKalb County and the DeKalb Board of Education under the Junior College Act of 1958, Georgia Perimeter College opened as DeKalb College with its Clarkston Campus in 1964. It was the only public junior college in the state supported and controlled by a local board of education. It was established in order that any resident of the DeKalb School District who held a high school diploma or its equivalent and who desired to seek two years of postsecondary education might have the opportunity to do so. The college's Decatur (formerly known as South) Campus opened in 1972. Also beginning in 1972, students enrolled in DeKalb Area Technical School were able to enroll dually in vocational and collegiate programs, and the college was designated DeKalb Community College. As growth continued both for DeKalb County and the college, the Dunwoody (Formerly North) Campus was added and began operation in 1979. DeKalb College pioneered in Georgia in open-door admissions, personalized approaches to instruction, and community-related curricula and activities. The Decatur Campus is one of the most scenic college campuses in the entire Atlanta area. The campus is surrounded by lush landscaped acres; it even houses its own botanical garden. Several miles of walking trails and tree-lined walkways connect the north and south portions of the campus. On your tour you will find tennis courts, a basketball court and a junior Olympic size swimming pool. The campus boasts ample parking spaces and the lots are all conveniently located. College curricula feature transfer, learning support, career, continuing and distance education programs as well as joint educational offerings with other system institutions and state-supported technical institutes. Associate degrees are awarded to graduates who complete the two-year transfer and career programs. Georgia Perimeter College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 162 students | 5.60 Mi5141 Snapfinger Woods Dr
Decatur,  GA  30035
- 7,022 students | 7.30 Mi2000 Clayton State Boulevard
Morrow,  GA  30260
- 4,050 students | 7.40 Mi495 N Indian Creek Dr
Clarkston,  GA  30021
- 2,977 students | 7.90 Mi1630 Metropolitan Parkway, SW
Atlanta,  GA  30310
- 4,282 students | 7.90 Mi1560 Metropolitan Pkwy SW
Atlanta,  GA  30310
August 09, 2018
Learn about why more students are attending community college classes with their parents.
July 16, 2018
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
July 11, 2018
Read on to learn the ins and outs of crafting the perfect college application essay.