El Camino College-Compton Center
Tel: (310) 900-1600
- EL Camino College is a multicultural district committed towards enhancing and facilitating learning in an environment that contributes to student success and academic excellence. El Camino College Compton Center provides our students the opportunity to acquire the skills necessary to work in a multicultural and global world.
The teacher population of 159 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|El Camino College-Compton Center||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||159 staff||97 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Compton Community College was established in 1927 as a component of the Compton Union High School District. In 1950, voters approved a bond issue separating the college from the high school district. The new college campus was then constructed at the present site. At its peak, student enrollment approached 10,000. After many successful years, and several very challenging years, a chain of events eventually led to Compton College's loss of accreditation and the ability to offer classes and grant degrees with units that will transfer to other colleges and universities.On July 24, 2006, the El Camino Community College District Board of Trustees gave approval for El Camino College to proceed with negotiations for an agreement to provide educational and related support services to residents of the Compton Community College District. In August 2006 the agreement was official, and El Camino College Compton Community Educational Center was established. The primary intent of the El Camino Community College District/Compton Community College District agreement is to assist with recovery and full accreditation.El Camino College provides accredited instructional and related support, in addition to administrative services, to meet the needs of Compton students. El Camino College courses are taught at Compton Center by Compton faculty.Administration at Compton Center is led by the Superintendent/ President of El Camino College. The Provost/CEO oversees daily operations at the Compton campus, along with a State appointed Special Trustee.Through the agreement, residents of the Compton community continue to have access to university transfer and vocational education opportunities, as well as financial aid, basic skills courses and related support services right in their own neighborhood. Welcome to Compton Center ? ?The Place to Be!?Some of the services offered at the El Camino College Compton Center include: assessment, academic counseling, peer advising, transfer assistance, career development, tutorial assistance, field trips, workshops, summer programs, and a book voucher to assist with the purchase of required books.
The nearest community college to El Camino College-Compton Center is Advanced College (4.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 125 students | 4.10 Mi13180 Paramount Blvd.
South Gate,  CA  90280
(562) 408-6969 4.10125
- 24,403 students | 5.00 Mi4901 E. Carson St.
Long Beach,  CA  90808
(562) 938-4111 5.0024,403
- 252 students | 5.80 Mi1600 East Hill St
Signal Hill,  CA  90755
(562) 988-2278 5.80252
- 1,136 students | 5.80 Mi2161 Technology Place
Long Beach,  CA  90810
(562) 624-9530 5.801,136
- 21,774 students | 6.40 Mi11110 Alondra Blvd
Norwalk,  CA  90650
(562) 860-2451 6.4021,774
Learn about the steps you need to take to successfully transfer from a community college to a 4-year institution.
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
Many people view college campuses as bastions of free speech, but recent actions taken by some institutions of higher learning indicate that this may not always be the case.