Community College News
- What are the Biggest Issues Facing Community Colleges Today? New Study has Answers
- More Latinos are Heading to Community College, but Facing Challenges along the Way
- Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
- Arizona Community Colleges Defunded: What Students Need to Know
- First Ever National Community College Survey: The Surprising Results!
Student Success Task Force
The legislation, dubbed Bill 1456 or the Student Success Act of 2012, was drafted by Sen. Alan Lowenthal, D-Long Beach. The senator used information compiled by the California Community College Student Success Task Force to create his new bill. According to iJournal, the 20-member task force included faculty, staff and students, as well as external stakeholders in the community college system.
But the school persevered.
This month, Borough of Manhattan Community College opened the doors of Fiterman Hall for the first time in more than 10 years. The beautiful new building is a reflection of light with windowed walls and a breathtaking lighted spiral staircase. It is a far cry from the smoke and debris that littered the area for so long. Now, students are preparing to take classes at Fiterman once again, in a brand new building designed just for them.
The Funding of Fiterman Hall
Implications of “Show Cause” Rating
The accreditation commission recently gave the City College of San Francisco a “show cause” rating, which means the school shoulders the burden of showing why it should remain accredited. This sanction is the most serious of the three options an accrediting commission can offer. The San Francisco Examiner reports that a “show cause” rating is typically only given when an institution is in “substantial non-compliance” with accreditation standards.
What the Cloud Can Do
According to a report at PC World, the decision by LACCD to move to the cloud began with a desire to have every student on each of the nine campuses obtain their own email account within the school system. This idea slowly spread beyond email capabilities to include IM, video and audio conferencing and calendaring. The cloud suite will also allow student to prepare online documents to share, edit and collaborate with professors and other students.
- Email and calendars with a 10GB inbox
- Additional file storage up to 25GB
- Instant messaging
- Video chat and audio conferencing
- Document sharing
- Mobile email
- Accessible through Web browsers for Mac, Windows and Linux systems
- Easy to set up and manage