- New York Career Institute serves 775 students (77% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 32:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 60% of the student body.
- New York Career Institute is one of 19 community colleges within New York County, NY.
- The nearest community college is Tri-State College Of Acupuncture (1.9 miles away).
New York Career Institute
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private for-profit||Public|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|24 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||775 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:32||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||594 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||181 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- New York Career Institute was founded in 1941 under the name of School of Stenotype Exclusively, and was located in the midtown area. In order to be in the center of the city, state and federal courts, and freelance reporting companies, the college was relocated in 1959 to Broadway near City Hall. At that time, the name of the college was changed to Stenotype Academy. In 1982 the New York State Board of Regents granted Stenotype Academy authority to confer an Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) degree as well as a Certificate in Court Reporting. In 1998, the name of the college was changed to New York Career Institute.
- The college is authorized by the New York State Board of Regents to confer AOS degrees and Certificates in Medical Office Administration and Court Reporting, and an AOS degree in Paralegal Studies. Both the degree and certificate programs offer a comprehensive course of study. For the convenience of students, both day and evening classes are offered for all programs. Classes are also generally available on Saturdays.
- New York Career Institute is the only college in New York City that awards an Associate degree in Court Reporting, as well as Office Sciences and Paralegal Studies. High school seniors making a first-time career choice and adults looking to retrain are offered a unique combination of theory and hands-on training that teaches not only "why" but "how," while successfully preparing graduates for immediate employment. Most important, a faculty comprised of registered court reporters, practicing attorneys and medical specialists is there to guide students toward careers as Court Reporters, Legal Assistants and Medical Office Professionals.
- New York Career Institute is accredited by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education, a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
150 students | 1.9 mi. away
9189 students | 3.1 mi. away
13424 students | 9.0 mi. away
2729 students | 16.0 mi. away
17198 students | 17.1 mi. away