- Southwest Mississippi Community College serves 2,136 students (88% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 28:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 47% of the student body.
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is the only community colleges within Pike County, MS.
Southwest Mississippi Community College
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|76 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,136 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:28||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||1,876 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||260 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is a two-year college that offers the freshman and sophomore level academic transfer courses, and vocational-technical programs.
- In 1908, the Mississippi legislature enacted legislation allowing counties to establish agricultural high schools. On April 7, 1916, the Pike County School Board voted to establish such a high school. The ideal spot for the new agricultural high school was Godbold's Mineral Wells, located in a picturesque setting just northeast of Summit. Godbold's Mineral Wells, a state and national resort noted for its mineral waters, had outlived its glory years, yet it proved to be the perfect location for an educational facility. On September 3, 1918, Superintendent James Murray Kenna, six faculty members, and approximately forty students began the Pike County Agricultural High School - an institution destined to become Southwest Mississippi Community College. The original campus consisted of classroom buildings, dormitories, and a comprehensive farm, including dairy, beef, and row-crop operations.
- Still located on its original site, Southwest continues to grow and develop. The campus, located on a sixty-acre plot, includes twenty-eight buildings, a football stadium, and a baseball field. The buildings are situated around a central lake with walks, bridges, and paths connecting the buildings. The remainder of the approximately 855 acres is now a tree farm.
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Southwest Mississippi Community College: Welding
4 months ago
Related School News:
- BHS concludes spring practice - Dailyleader
posted on May 12, 2013 at 09:06:47 pm
BHS concludes spring practiceDailyleaderAt running back, Clopton must replace Justin Blue, a Southwest Mississippi Community College signee. Trey ...
- 46 finishing drug court program in SW Mississippi - WJTV
posted on May 11, 2013 at 07:10:31 pm
46 finishing drug court program in SW MississippiWJTV... from the program in the 14th Circuit, which includes Lincoln, Pike and Walthall counties. The 14th ...
- Graduations get under way with BA ceremony on Friday - Dailyleader
posted on May 9, 2013 at 07:02:10 pm
Graduations get under way with BA ceremony on FridayDailyleaderMississippi School of the Arts - Friday, May 24, at 2 p.m. in Southwest Mississippi Community ...