- Montgomery College serves 26,013 students (39% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 31:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 100% of the student body.
- Montgomery College is one of 2 community colleges within Montgomery County, MD.
- The nearest community college is Howard Community College (17.6 miles away).
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|830 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||26,013 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:31||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||10,055 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||15,958 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- On September 16, 1946, the first Montgomery College classes were held in the evenings at a local high school with a student body of 186 men and women. Over the past half-century the College has grown to a multicampus institution with more than 20,000 credit students and 15,000 Continuing Education students.
- By the fall of 1950, the College had acquired the buildings and seven acres previously occupied by the Bliss Electrical Society. This new home in Takoma Park became the first campus of Montgomery College. A second campus, the Rockville Campus, opened in September 1965. The Germantown Campus opened in September 1975 with classes held temporarily in Seneca Valley High School. Since the fall of 1978, the Germantown Campus has been located in permanent college facilities in Germantown, Maryland.
- Opened in 1965 with an enrollment of 2,489, the Rockville Campus is now Montgomery College's largest, with an enrollment of 14,000 full- and part-time students. It is located just north of Washington, D.C., between Route 355 and Interstate 270, and is readily accessible by bus and the Metro rail system. More than 600 courses are now offered in more than 40 curricula. People of all ages take classes at Rockville, and there is a diverse mix of cultures which contribute to the international flavor of this suburban campus. Thousands of Continuing Education students also attend classes at Rockville, and additional tens of thousands of people come to this campus each year for art exhibitions, athletic events, concerts, conferences, lectures, movies, plays, and other events open to the public.
- Under the leadership of the Instructional Deans, the campus is comprised of seven major instructional areas; Business, Hospitality Management and Information Science, Fine, Performing and Visual Arts, Humanities, Science, Engineering and Mathematics, Social Science, History, Education, Health and Physical Education, the Applied Technology & Gudelsky Institute for Technical Education, and Student Development. Each area is led by a dean. Leadership for The Arts Institute, the Paul Peck Humanities Institute and the Montgomery County Public Schools Partnerships is provided by a program director.
- Intercollegiate athletics for men and women are a part of the total offering of the College. The College belongs to the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA); Region XX NJCAA; and the Maryland Junior College Athletic Association, known as JUCO. The campuses field teams in numerous men's and women's intercollegiate sports.
- Sports Associations Memberships: National Athletic Association, National Junior College Athletic Association, Other National Athletic Association
Related School Videos:
Marine speaks at Montgomery College graduation
6 months ago
Montgomery College Commencement 2012
7 months ago
It Gets Better - Montgomery College
1 year ago.
Related School News:
- Band plays Hanukkah lyrics by Woody Guthrie at Montgomery College - Gazette.Net: Maryland Community News Online
posted on December 5, 2012 at 12:29:29 pm
Band plays Hanukkah lyrics by Woody Guthrie at Montgomery CollegeGazette.Net: Maryland Community News OnlineThe Klezmatics, a contemporary klezmer-based band from New York, plans to ...
- Screening of ?Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet? at Montgomery College - Examiner.com
posted on December 5, 2012 at 04:51:20 am
Examiner.comScreening of ?Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet? at Montgomery CollegeExaminer.comOn November 28, a program was held at Montgomery College, Germantown ...
- Speak Out: College Smoking Bans Spark Debate - Patch.com
posted on November 27, 2012 at 10:24:50 am
Speak Out: College Smoking Bans Spark DebatePatch.comAdd George Washington University to the list of metro-area campuses--including Montgomery College and ...