- Gavilan College serves 6,794 students (26% of students are full-time).
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 45:1 is higher than the college average of 21:1.
- Minority enrollment is 36% of the student body.
- Gavilan College is one of 10 community colleges within Santa Clara County, CA.
- The nearest community college is Cabrillo College (19.6 miles away).
Community College Avg.
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Instructional Staff Total
(research/public service staff included)
|150 staff||63 staff|
|Total Enrollment||6,794 students||1,418 students|
|Student / Staff Ratio||1:45||1:21|
|# Full-Time Students||1,759 students||1,262 students|
|# Part-Time Students||5,035 students||1,508 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||1%|
|% Two or more races||-||2%|
|Finances and Admission|
|In-State Tuition Fees
|Out-State Tuition Fees
- Gavilan College was originally established in 1919 as San Benito County Junior College. It operated under this title until 1963, when a new community college district was drawn that included both San Benito and southern Santa Clara Counties. Successful passage of a local bond in 1966 provided the needed funds to construct the present campus at Santa Teresa Boulevard in Gilroy.
- The main campus is located south of Gilroy against the hills that form the western boundary of the Santa Clara Valley. Every aspect of the 150-acre Gavilan College campus has been planned to emphasize the student-centered philosophy adopted by the Board of Trustees and the college staff. Buildings have been designed and constructed to serve the needs and interests of college students and are equipped with the most recently developed aids to enhance teaching and learning.
- Gavilan College also has sites in Hollister at the Briggs Building and in Morgan Hill as a wing of the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center. These two sites are an integral part of the District's effort to enhance student access to a college education.
- Gavilan College offers a wide range of services, including programs of community education, study in the liberal arts and sciences, and study in the pre-professional, business, voactional, and technical fields. To support student success, we offer services that strengthen and augment the learning environment. Courses and programs of study are offered days, evenings, weekends, and online. All offerings are designed to assist students in meeting their educational and life goals.
- Gavilan College is fully accreditated by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC.), last granted a six-year accreditation in 2001, the Gavilan College's accreditation will be reviewed again in 2007.
Related School Videos:
Gavilan College VRC Student Veteran Focus
5 months ago
Related School News:
- Graduates Honored at SF State Commencement - Post News Group
posted on May 17, 2013 at 02:38:56 pm
Post News GroupGraduates Honored at SF State CommencementPost News GroupGoing to college was unheard of in her family – her parents did not complete high school ...
- Gav theater arts major to receive $10K scholarship - Hollister Free Lance
posted on May 14, 2013 at 09:48:16 pm
Gav theater arts major to receive $10K scholarshipHollister Free LanceGav theater arts major to receive $10K scholarship 0 comments. Isabel “Izzy” Quistian, ...
- Gav theater arts major to receive $20k scholarship - Gilroy Dispatch
posted on May 14, 2013 at 06:15:48 pm
Gav theater arts major to receive $20k scholarshipGilroy DispatchIsabel “Izzy” Quistian, a Gavilan College theater arts major and active member of the Associated ...