- Better proximity to college resources like the library and recreation center
- Exposure to international lifestyles that comes from living near fellow students from around the globe
- The ability to fully immerse oneself in the college experience by remaining in the environment after classes are finished for the day
- Ease of meeting other students and building relationships with those in a similar season of life
- Apartments or dormitories that are often fully furnished and affordable, providing an economic housing option to cash-strapped students
In addition, participating colleges agree to monitor their progress and report their findings to Achieving the Dream so that other colleges can benefit from their knowledge and experience. This year, the organization learned three important lessons on improving learning from two of the participating community colleges in their pool.
Valencia Community College in Florida offered a number of programs for under-prepared students coming to the campus for the first time – more than 100 programs, in fact. However, the piecemeal approach to improving student performance was still resulting